I constantly hear people talk about how they workout and eat good food choices and still can’t seem to shed the fat they would like to. For those of you that have known me a long time, I’m sure this is a rerun… but it’s definitely worth repeating! Here are the guidelines for losing fat and getting that body where you want it:
- Distribute protein, carbohydrate, and fat throughout the day and at each meal.
- Choose whole grains and fresh vegetables over refined grains and simple sugars (as the fiber and complexity of the starch will aid in hunger control).
- Schedule no fewer than four and as many as six meals a day. This helps to control hunger, minimize blood sugar fluctuations, and increase energy levels throughout the day.
- Avoid empty calories and highly processed foods, which contain many calories and do little to help you feel full.
- Drink a lot of water (8 – 12 cups per day).
- Log your food for at least one week (including all amounts/portion sizes). This will make you more aware of exactly what you’re putting in your mouth. Better yet, log your food and show it to your trainer for feedback. Accountability is king when making positive changes.
Balancing nutrition is much easier than trying to diet. Following the guidelines above, in addition to getting in a well rounded workout 2 – 3 times a week, will definitely get you headed in the right direction for weight loss!